Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thankful Thursday #7




I Chronicles 16:34 (NASB)
"O give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting."


It's hard for me to know where to begin this week. Trials have hit hard in the last week, and it makes writing this list a little difficult. It's not difficult because I'm not thankful. It's difficult because God has so richly blessed with comfort and grace that I have trouble knowing where to begin.

1. First, I'm thankful that when my roommate received a phone call that her sister had been shot by her husband, I was there with her to drive her over to the house, to pray, and to call church and school people to have them join in praying for the family.

2. I'm thankful that even though the victim's mother and sons (my roommate's mother and nephews) were in the house and saw the shooting, they were not harmed at all.

3. I'm thankful that my roommate and I go to the same church and work at the same Christian school, so I knew who to call for prayer.

4. I'm thankful that those two little boys (nephews of my roommate and my students) have so many people who love them and can care for them. I'm also thankful that they have a loving Heavenly Father that can heal even this darkest of issues for them.

5. I'm thankful that the funeral service was beautiful. The shooter's brother was there to see the forgiveness and hear the clear presentation of the gospel.

6. I'm thankful for the devotions presented this morning in our teacher's meeting. The leader talked about how God allowed Peter to do the impossible, walk on water, as long as Peter kept his eyes on Jesus and not on the waves. I needed that reminder. I know that these next few months of grief and processing will be difficult, and I have been fearful. I know that it will not be easy to support my roommate through this time, but I know that if I keep my eyes on Jesus, He will give me the strength I need.

7. I'm thankful that even though the shooter has not been caught by the authorities, his location is no mystery to God.

8. I'm thankful that the shooter can still reach out to God for forgiveness.

9. I'm thankful that none of this took God by surprise.

Please visit Iris at Sting My Heart for even more reasons to praise the Lord.

26 comments:

Lori said...

I am so without words, what a painful week, but thank you for showing God through much diffiuclty. May our prayers be with the family during their loss.

Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Its times like this that show us how important is is to have God to lead on and look to. Can you even imagine going through something like this not knowing the Lord. Prayers for you and your family.

Posted on my blog this wee?"If we learn to enlist our trials, they will become our servants instead of our masters and work for us; and God will work all things together for our good and His glory."

Blessings.

Lyndy said...

Oh my goodness, how horrible but God is still on the throne and faithful. Praying for this precious family.

Serving Him said...

Wow...I can only imagine how hard it was for you to write this list...but I am glad that you did and glad to hear that during this difficult time, you and others are running towards God and not away from Him. Sincerely, Serving Him

Jennifer said...

Praying for this family and for you as you minister to them. God keeps reminding me of your last point...*nothing* takes Him by surprise. So very true...

Denise said...

I am glad that even though you had a hard week, you are still thankful. Bless you.

Changed by His Love said...

I am thankful that your friend had someone there with her and God chose that to be you. Oh yes, that man's exact location hasn't fallen from God's eyes and He is in pursuit of him...he won't be able to outrun the Lord. I will be praying for you and your roomate and her family.

Detroit said...

I started thinking how I knew exactly what you meant about not having words after going through trials and your thankfulness in such a difficult time proceeded to amaze me...God is good all the time and I praise Him for showing you so clearly that He is here and present and forgiving. May His peace continue to be so real to each of you. Blessings

Robin said...

Oh bless your heart. God must appreciate you so much for being Jesus to your friend and her family. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

What a trying time! I am so sorry for you. I hope that God will use this situation to lead people to Him.

Sharon Brumfield said...

What a full week. I pray God gives you guidance as you comfort your roommate.

Mindy said...

OH my............it would be so hard to be thankful during a time like this. YOU are an inspiration!!!!

Melissa Lea said...

Soooo glad that you are thankful after a week like that! I hope you have a great weekend!

Mary said...

Tears....I am so very sorry. But I'm thankful that you were there to show comfort and strength. We pray for the the family. God is bigger than anything we face. He has all the grace and strength that you and the family needs to get through this. Praying fervently.

Sharon said...

How tragic! I'm glad you are able to see God in all of this turmoil. My prayers are with the family and the little boys, especially.

Anonymous said...

I hurt for this family. I don't have any words. I pray that God touches yo u and your roommate and her family. Prayer, blessings, peace, forgiveness and safety to you all.

Reese

Brenda said...

((hugs)) I'm nearly to tears. What an incredible testimony of the Lord's faithful presence and very real comfort in the midst of painful circumstances. Thank you for sharing your thankful heart.

Nise' said...

I am so sorry that this tragedy happened. Your trust in God shines through every thankful item!

Crystal said...

Wow.....I know a little about trials but this tops everything.....You have blessed me with your thankfulness today in spite of your difficult week!
Thank you for sharing and for stopping by my blog to encourage me today!
Blessings

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

You are an amazing person to be able to find all that good in such a horrible act. It's there, the good. It's just hard to see it when there is so much pain. God bless all of you. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the victims family.

Alycia said...

I am truly praying for this family and am so thankful God purposed you to be there for your roommate, at that specific moment in time. Praying for this precious family...

eph2810 said...

Oh dear, I don't know what to say. I am sorry for the loss of your roommate's sister. I am thankful with you all were able to comfort your roommate and her family with the loving kindness of our Lord.
I pray that the little boys will be okay.

Thank you for sharing you thankfulness despite the pain and that you are able to lean on Him during this dark time.

Blessings to you and yours.

By the grace of God ... said...

Prayers for you and your family -- thanking you for sharing your heart through your trial. May the Lord shower you all with comfort and eventually restore your joy!

Sue Seibert said...

God bless you and your roommate and her family. May He hold you all close and give you the strength you need to carry on. Bless the little boys to be up to this and feel God's continual presence around them.

Hopeful Spirit said...

That's so difficult to read about that I can't imagine what it's like to live it. All I can say is that prayers are being offered . . . stay strong in your faith.

Darlene Schacht said...

That's so sad. Praise God that He is bigger than all of this.