Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thankful Thursday #5

Today's "Thankful Theme" will center around my mother in honor of Mother's Day (which reminds me, I need to get her gift, and soon.) Here is my list of things about her that make me very thankful (in no particular order):

* Her love of Jesus Christ and her desire to serve Him wholeheartedly

* Her love of my dad. Their marriage of 36 1/2 years through all the highs and lows is a shining example in a world where divorce is becoming increasingly common.

* Her love of each of her five children, her four children-in-law, and her eight (soon to be nine) grandchildren.

* Her commitment to being a prayer warrior.

* Her quiet humility.

* Her disciplined approach to all areas of life. (I wish I had inherited a little more of that. Instead, I inherited my dad's randomness--sigh. It's fun, but not always profitable.)

* Her fairness. She is a high school math teacher (and a good one at that), and she has an exceptional talent for making sure everyone gets exactly the same amount of whatever is the treat of the day.

* Her strength of character.

*Her frugality. Again, I wish I had inherited a little more of that. She's a whiz at finding a good bargain. She has always been the family bookkeeper, and she's fantastic at it. It was only during the last few years that I realized how hard it must have been for her and my dad to make ends meet when I was a young child. Dad's salary couldn't have been very big, and they were working for dad to go to seminary and for all five of us children to attend Christian schools. Still, she didn't ever let us think we had less than the best. We were always very well-fed and well-clothed and happy.

*Her honesty. She's never one to gush or say something she doesn't mean. So a compliment from her can mean the world.

Thanks Mom! I love you!


9 comments:

Deena Peterson said...

**sigh** I sure miss my mom, but it is so good to read about everyone's thankfulness for THEIR moms...

Ms. Kathleen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom! God Bless You!

Amy said...

What a lovely post about your mom. I'm thankful for mine too :-)

Denise said...

I miss my mom so very much. May you, and your mom be very blessed.

Lori said...

This is so sweet, and what a wonderful blessing she has been for you.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Your mom sounds truly extraordinary and I am not just saying that. As I read about your mom's qualities I thought, how nice it would be to possess some of those qualities. Thank you for sharing your mom with us. God Bless!

Mary said...

What a great way to honor your mom.
Thanks for stopping by my place.
Blessings on your weekend.

Crystal said...

What a great tribute to your mother! Thanks for joining in this thankful thursday and thanks for stopping by my blog!
Blessings

Susanne said...

Thanks for the visit and the comment. Isn't is so wonderful to have a great Mom??? You seem to be truly blessed by yours. I checked out the rest of your site, and it looks like we have a lot in common. (I was "almost" a music major, but chose English instead!!) Have a great weekend!!