Tuesday, March 20, 2007

small enough

Over the past couple of weeks, I've gotten into a bit of a spiritual funk. It's one of those situations where I have no reasonable explanation for feeling down, I just do. Things are going well, and I really am thankful for what God is doing in my life and in the lives of the friends I have been lifting up in prayer.

Then, I was listening to some of my old CDs and I came across a Nicole Nordeman song, Small Enough, that put the real issue into words.

Oh, Great God, be small enough to hear me now.
There were times when I was crying from the dark of
Daniel's den;

And I have asked you once or twice if You would part
the sea again.

But tonight I do not need a fiery pillar in the sky.
Just want to know you're gonna hold me if I start to
cry.


Oh great God, be small enough to hear me now.
Oh great God, be close enough to feel You now.
There have been moments when I could not face Goliath
on my own.

And how could I forget we've march around our share of
Jerichos.

But I will not be setting out a fleece for You tonight.
Just want to know that everything will be alright.

Oh, great God, be close enough to feel You now.
All praise and all the honor be;
To the God of ancient mysteries.
Whose every sign and wonder turn the pages of our
history.

But tonight my heart is heavy, And I cannot keep from
whispering this prayer.

Are You there?

And I know You could leave writing on the wall that's
just for me.

Or send wisdom while I'm sleeping, like in Solomon's
sweet dreams.

But I don't need the strength of Samson or a chariot in
the end...

Just Want to know that You still know how many hairs
are on my head.

Oh, great God, be small enough to hear me now.


I love her way with lyrics. I can relate to them, and I think she nailed my problem on the head. I'm afraid I may be becoming a bit of a "drama queen Christian." I do pretty well when things are rough. Over the past few years, through the death of my close friend, job changes, and big financial struggles, I managed to stay on course. (Some times better than others.) Now, though, things are going well. I like my job and my situation in life. God wants me to be just as dependent on Him now as I ever was in those hard times. I'm praying for the faith to trust God and know His strength in the everyday.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Great lyrics! I'll have to check out that song, as I'm not familiar with it.