Thursday, February 22, 2007

In a fog

Yesterday, school was cancelled due to freezing, dense fog. It did make for some very pretty pictures. Apparently, in freezing fog the water droplets that make up the fog freeze onto lots of surfaces. Trees around here were covered in tiny little icicles. It was very pretty.

Normally, I can really enjoy this beauty. Normally, school cancellations are something I welcome. In the average school year, they are a rare and unexpected chance to catch up on some lost sleep and some neglected housecleaning, and do some minor errands without the aggravation of the after-school crowds.

This year, I have to admit, I am a little tired of missing school. Yesterday was our seventh school cancellation of the year. Five of those have happened since Christmas break. We've also had ten two-hour delays. My summer "vacation," which was already full of places I had to be and things I had to get done, is now the incredible shrinking machine.

A friend of mine was trying to help me think of the positive in this situation. I do appreciate that, but the comment she made was "Sometimes a break during the longer winter months is worth a little extra school time in the summer. " I replied, "Yes, but we've had ten breaks."

Every year, our school chooses a passage of scripture as our theme for the year. This year's theme is "Building a Foundation on the Knowledge of God." It was taken from 2 Peter 1:5-11. From the year's passage, we choose a character quality for each school month and use it as our focus. This month's character quality is perseverance. Who would have ever thought I'd need a lesson about persevering through school cancellations?

1 comment:

Ms. Kathleen said...

Wow, that is a LOT of missed school days. Around here is doesn't happen often as the area is completely prepared for the worse weather.

I must say after reading that scripture that God does have a great sense of humor!

Hugs!