Saturday, September 01, 2007

Fashion Police

I was questioned by a four-year-old fashion police officer this week. I think I've managed to recover from the trauma, but it will definitely make me think a little more seriously about my choice of outfits for school.

On Thursdays, my music class teaching schedule includes two sessions of the 4-year-old preschool. The morning class is large and very active. The afternoon class is small and very affectionate. I was enjoying the afternoon group when one of the little boys said, "Hey, those are the same clothes you were wearing last music time." Now, I have a feeling he's probably right. The last class was a week earlier, and my outfits for Thursdays are always chosen with consideration for the fact that I will be teaching the preschool classes which involve sitting on the floor. I don't remember what I wore last Thursday, so I had no reason to think he was remembering anything untrue. So, I said, "Wow, you must have a very good memory to remember that from last week." He fave a shy little smile. I could tell that something was still bothering him, though. Finally, he couldn't take it any more. He leaned in close to me and quietly asked, "Did you wash them?" I laughed and said, "Yes, I did." A look of relief passed over his little face, and he said, "Oh, good job!"

Well, from now on, I'll give a little extra thought to my choice of clothes for Thursdays. I don't want to be "that teacher" who always wears the same five outfits. However, I was relieved to have passed the most important test this little guy had to give me.

No comments: